Recently I visited a local church, other than my own, duh! I wanted to share a bit about my experience…
On our arrival there were lots of signs, directing traffic, pointing out the kids area and offering information. There were actually people standing holding brightly colored signed as we drove into the converted warehouse area.
Many of the volunteers wear dressed according to the churches current series theme, which by the way, is rather interesting. I prefer not to share the specific theme. But many people were wearing cowboy hats, jeans and boots. You may have also thought you were at a monster truck rally, hmmm….
The parking is ill fitted for the capacity of people, but there were A LOT of people out helping direct traffic. They are new to the location and are still working out some kinks. My wife and I parked further away and walked. It was no further than walking from any given spot at Wal-Mart (which has the WORST parking lots ever!).
There were lots of smiling young (adult) faces as we walked in. Laura came up and welcomed me to the church, gave me some insight on my visit and how to score a free shirt. I am all about a free shirt…
The service started right on time with a themed song… I am ok with secular music. I may even listen to it more than I should. BUT I was a little distracted, when they said “Damn.” I know, I am on the liberal side of conservative, but really? Did you have to pick THAT particular song?
-It's been over a week since I started this... let's see how it ends.
Oh yeah, thats where I was (I had to re-read what I had already written).
By the third they said the "D" word I was becoming desensitized to it... Ok maybe not.
They followed that awesome song with two very well played worship songs. The band was tight, the kick drum was kickin! (They offer ear plus at the welcome center.) The horse shoe/fumanchu mustache the one singer had was more than I could handle. I had a hard time talking him serious. I really did want to hear more from the band when they finished playing. (several times I have heard amazing bands at church and they never play as much as I want)
A staff member welcomed everyone just before a well made informative video was played. It was called "Need to know." It contained two or three short announcements.
The lead pastor was wearing a shirt that was a little smaller than it should have been. He was also having a hard time with his mic and kept fidgeting with it as he spoke. I was rather disappointed in the message as a whole. I think I understood what he was saying But I felt the "theme" was a stretch for his message. He did not clearly communicate the meaning behind the theme or anything else for that matter. haha
After the pastor finished his sermon, the band returned to the stage to play another song to bring us into the presence of... the theme, Complete with ACDC and Def Leppard shirts. this time one of the guitar players was wearing a Pabst Blue Ribbon (beer) hat.
The band closed out with two more songs actually about God. The band seemed a bit more performance oriented rather interested in leading the church in worship. I believe it is hard to balance the two... because God deserves our best, and our heart should be soft before God (and taking people to the same place).
I did score a free T--shirt.... and they emailed me about my visit days afterwards.
Now, I am not a "critic," maybe a cynic, but Reviews aren't really my thing. Hope any of this made sense!

Was that 'critic' remark directed at me?
ReplyDeleteActually it was an obscure Kid Rock reference...
ReplyDeleteI probably should have something about my friends in the Methadone Clinic.