Monday, August 10, 2009

Where were you?

Well, I have not written anything for a while now. It is not that I have nothing to say, but life has been busy. People I know going to the Emergency Room, family activities, church and general fun...

The other day, I was playing "Corn Hole" (aka Bags, bag toss or whatever you might call it in your neck of the woods). I am a mediocre to bad player. This is not false humility, this is reality, generally speaking I am not very good. Ok at best, maybe. First, the wife decides she would like to play me, a little one on one while the kids were preoccupied. I was amazing... It was unreal. I could barely miss the hole. So she decided she didnt want to play that anymore... no prob. Well Someone asked if would team up and play the winner of the game taking place on the other boards. Sure... I give him fair warning about my inability to play well. Or should I say, I remind him about it. The last time we had played on a team, we were blown out of the water, most of the opponents points coming on my turn.

This night was different. This night I was the one carrying the team. Now, there are people who are better than I was on that night. BUT for me and the people I was playing with, I was doing amazing.

But here is the thing. I know that the next time I play it wont even be worth mentioning. It will be so bad i will have to be embarrassed for saying that I ever played well. I would like to say that I am athletic, but there are a lot of better athletes out there. I just work really hard... which is good. there are some guys who everything just comes natural to them, they excell at everything and it is easy. I just get lucky enough to have flashes of greatness. Then I think more highly of myself than I ought.

For example, I play volleyball. I am tall enough to be of use, but I cannot spike even thought i have the height and jumping ability for it. I lack the timing. But a few weeks ago I played and my serve was untouchable. I served probably 35-40 points that night. I had even spiked it a handful of times. My teams were doing well, we mix up the teams to keep it competitve and fair. I come back to play a few days later thinking that I have finally worked the kinks out of my serving/consistency issues. Negative. In three games I was lucky if I had five serves over the net and inbounds. It was miserable... back to reality.

I am not sure how I feel about that. I think I would almost prefer the consistent. Then I know what to expect. But thats life. Everything has its seasons and cycles.

Babble > Off!

No comments:

Post a Comment