Monday, August 17, 2009

When Sequels S*ck!

Ok, I am about to ramble about the short comings of some movies. Just so you dont think I think my self faultless, I did watch them. That was my decision. I could write another blog entitled, "when my decisions s*ck!" but I will save that for a different time.

I recently watched Daddy Day Camp. I know, I know... look at the above note. But here's the deal, if you cant get any of your original stars back for a second go at it. You need to go a different direction. Come On! arent there like 4 movies about the Klumps... talk about continuing where you shouldnt. But if eddie would do those, but not Daddy Day Camp, there has to be something that goes off inside your head, like, "hey maybe this isnt a great idea."

Ok so the main actor is coming back, change it up. His brother in law bought him out, he is partnering with someone else. I dont know. But we all know Cuba Gooding Jr. wasnt in the first movie. I feel the same way when Val Kilmer replaced Michael Keaton. Its not the same guy. there are a milllion different ways to explain that they way they write different story lines for comics. Go with the "Sword of Azrael" when Bruce was hurt and the other guy took over. He had different gadgets that made him different and it was a completely different guy being batman. Makes more sense to me. ANd dont get me started on George Clooney.... Day Camp couldnt even get Steve Zahn back... so they try and get someone on the nerdy side to fill that role. F+

And dont mess with the story line that you have already established. Daddy Day Care shows how the guys have evolved into a trustworthy day care. they have learned how to handle things. They had even moved into a new facility... BUT Day Camp starts at the house and they talk about how they have put money into the house to accomodate more kids... Dur... think back to the FIRST movie...

Planet of the Apes got carried away. What was the deal with Rocky 5? I mean you follow up Rocky IV with that? At least Balboa helps people forget about Tommy Gunn...

Prequels can S*ck too. Let's be honest, Episode 1... Do I really need to say anymore? Now with the following that Star Wars had/has it is had to follow up the original Trilogy. I get that. There were so many books written by who ever that laid out tons of options and story lines and what not. And that is what you ended up with? And Darth Maul gets beat by Obi Wan... whatever!

there are plenty of Sequels that cant live up to the first movie. Sometimes they are decent movies but because you have attached it to something "good" or "great" it will fall short. The Matrix... How could you ever follow that up. It was such a ground breaking film. It set off a new dimesion in film making... but was a sequel really a great idea?

My Advice? Ignore the hype. That is with any movie. sequel, prequel or otherwise... Dont get caught up in what public opinion is... they are usually wrong. I mean about GREAT movies. Entertaining movies is a different thing. I went to see GI Joe. It wasnt great, but I didnt think it was going to be anything special. I was looking to put my brain in nuetral and watch some stuff get blown up! was it worth the 7 bucks I paid? Sure... since it was time out with the wife. And that was 7 bucks for both of us... because we had a gift card. The other bit of advice, dont complain about a movie you know is going to be bad... unless you were forced to go. then complain, but do it quietly, because who ever brought you may have enjoyed it! LOL

So in other words, ignore all of my complaints about Daddy Day Camp!


I am still waiting to see the sequel to Manos and the Hands of Fate...

No comments:

Post a Comment