I think I am a generally passionate person... which is good and bad. I wear my emotions on my sleeves because of it... and I throw myself into things. I get enamored, I get sucked in...
Someone asked me recently what I was passionate about. I didnt have an answer. Normally there is something that I am passionate about, even if it is a temporary passion. Right now? Nothing.
The context of the question was along the lines of the question in Office Space "if you had a million dollars what would you do?"
Sure I would really enjoy doing "nothing" but as a life goal i dont know if that would be acceptable.
I have been working on a side project at our church, remodeling/building a room. It goes beyound my general skills as far as the mud and what not. But I want to do it well. And I think for the most part the mud I have done, has been done well. There is a certain sense of accomplishment that comes with it.
I am thinking about taking off the summers, to build houses. You know, when the economy picks back up... But I would prefer to do some framing... Get some sun, feel like a man, have a sense of accomplishment.
Maybe that would help with my pre-midlife crisis.
I doubt it...
When the person asked again about my passion, a few weeks later. I had no answer. Still. I had discussed it with my wife and felt more like a failure than I had previously. Yeah...
I dont even know how to figure out what I am passionate about. I am thinking about quitting life, not like suicide or anything. But I need to do something, i suppose.
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ReplyDeletemy only suggestion, after having gone down this road myself, is to not search for something to be passionate about. let it come to you naturally. you're aware, through that conversation, about not really having anything to hone in on in the way of a "passion". now let that awareness birth something naturally that is uniquely "you". searching for a passion is like searching for a mate....when you stop looking for it, it finds you.
ReplyDeletefor what it's worth.....
See it Blind...
ReplyDeleteIt isnt so much about searching... but seeing it.
Its kind of like you said, becoming aware of it. I think it is in all of us, just for some people it takes more to let it get to the surface.